1.16.2009

Munich

This year, I started my winter trip in Munich. The eating (and drinking) was amazing. As a Filipino whose national dish is the roasted whole pig lechon, I was a bit ashamed that I enjoyed their version so much more. A bite of theirs is decadently rich and soulful; the skin remains crispy and the meat is both seasoned well and silky/tacky/tender. To me, what makes it better is its tastiness. The German version is better seasoned and much more juicy than any of lechon i've ever had in my life. 

This meal was surprising. First,  I did not know they did roast in Germany. Secondly, their potions sizes are huge; all the meals I ordered could easily feed 2 to 3 hungry Americans. And lastly, they food was quite tasty. 

The photo below is one of my favorite meal in the whole trip.



Here is a close up of that magic when the gelatin becomes tacky; the side dish is a quickly pickled cabbage also just delicious:


I also tip my head to the Bavarian beer and its consumption. The places we drank beer were these huge halls. Anyone who built that much space for beer drinking knows what is important in life.




Despite the average temperature of -1.5 Celcius, we still managed to leave the comforts of beer halls and see the city. This view of the city was from a St. Peter's Church tower(I think).


The Cathedral of our Lady:


Cheers to the simple joys of life and to winter's balm the Glühwein. These are my friends and hosts showing me how to enjoy warm wine outdoors at their farmer's market.

No comments: