1.19.2008

Days in Paris--On Slow Travel

Wall by the Jewish quarter

A poster I saw while walking around the Marais
I am a very slow traveller if you judge my trip on how many sights I see. After 2 trips to Paris, I still have not seen the Mona Lisa or the Louvre--that museum is so massive it scares me. To me, a trip to Paris is about walking, wandering, going to the store, learning that the best wine deal is the pitcher or that 2 people should only order 1 of those eventhough one is still wine thirsty, toting a pyramid wrapped pastry to enjoy at home, wondering how people could have 4 oz worth of cheese for dinner, having coffee only after dessert, marvelling at the Metro. I guess to me a trip is basically surrendering one's self to all of the city not just it's art or to the experience primarily mentioned in tour books.
Below is a photo of Eglise St-Eustache--about the only church I paid much attention to in this trip. It poetically sits alongside Forum Les Halles--this mall with 5 (4 of it underground) or so floors of shopping bliss. Sometimes while looking at it, I think this church is lonely and is patiently waiting for the days when it will be as popularly visited as Les Halles.

No comments: